Job Posting: Circulation Librarian
Are you passionate about great customer service and the details that keep a library’s circulation work humming?
As Thomas Memorial Library’s new Circulation Librarian, you will be the orchestrator of the patron’s experience at the library. You will be the friendly face that welcomes patrons into our library, training and supervising the circulation staff to do the same at our adult combined service point of reader’s advisory, reference, and circulation. You enrich people’s lives through meaningful dialogue about our resources and services. You earn trust by being approachable and knowledgeable about what the library has to offer and making recommendations that connect with patrons. You are responsible for developing and overseeing services and models that help our library patrons find what they need to fuel their imagination and facilitate connecting them to all kinds of ideas and opportunities. This involves keeping the focus on relationships and patron experience, while overseeing a number of detail-oriented tasks on a daily basis. The Circulation Librarian works under the direct supervision of the Library Director and in close cooperation with their peers and the heads of all other library areas.
Who you are:
- You are warm and friendly, understanding the library’s role as a welcoming community hub.
- You’re outgoing – you love letting people know what’s new and happening.
- You engage well with others and are passionate about providing an exemplary customer experience.
- You’re a team player who thinks quickly on your feet.
- You’re excited about the prospect of growing and learning in a changing environment, and can stay calm and organized amidst competing demands.
- You’re organized and detail oriented, and have a strong skill set to operate independently.
- You have experience managing a team and inspiring commitment to the library vision, mission, and service models.
- You have familiarity with Maine lending consortia, ILL, and Sierra software.
- You are able to work effectively with frequent interruptions.
An opportunity you’ll love:
- You warmly welcome customers into our library and ensure a great experience that includes registering them for library cards and giving a user’s orientation.
- Out on the floor and in the stacks, you provide a personalized library experience to each and every visitor by helping them locate or reserve the items they want or assisting them with self-checkout services.
- You take pride in our library, ensuring it is clean and tidy and the displays are refreshed and looking beautiful.
- You love meeting and inspiring new people. You enjoy talking about and offering recommendations of the latest books, movies and music.
- You are adept at understanding the needs of library patrons and connecting them to the right person at the right time.
- You are there to lend a hand if needed for programs and routine tasks.
- You answer phones, and identify collection needs based on customer comments.
- You oversee managing overdue material and billing procedures.
- You manage the interlibrary loan process.
- You are responsible for compiling and maintaining circulation statistical records and reports.
Do you have what it takes?
- College degree required
- Library experience required, preferably in a public library
- Computer literacy including familiarity with Mac and PC operating systems, MS and Google Office suites, e-readers, tablets, etc.
- Familiarity with Sierra, Minerva, ILL, and billing procedures
Additional Info & Requirements
- Your job will involve your being “on the move” within the library: You will stand, walk, crouch, stoop, squat, twist, climb, push/pull up to 50 pounds, and lift up to 25 pounds.
- You will be packing and unpacking an average of six large totes of interlibrary loaned items each day.
- You will train new staff and volunteers who work in the circulation department.
- Expect evening and weekend shifts as part of your schedule.
- This is a full-time position (40 hours / week). Starting pay rate is $20.26 / hour.
Submit resume, cover letter, and three references by Wednesday, March 11, via email to Rachel Davis, Library Director: email@example.com
About Cape Elizabeth:
Extending 12 miles into open ocean, rimmed by craggy shores and sandy beaches, Cape Elizabeth marks the entrance to spectacular Casco Bay. The Town is home to Two Lights State Park, Crescent Beach State Park, and Fort Williams Park, site of Portland Head Light, the most photographed lighthouse in the world.
The Thomas Memorial Library/Town of Cape Elizabeth is an equal opportunity employer.