The Thomas Memorial Library is seeking to fill a new part-time (18 hours) Access Services Assistant position.
Are you positive, flexible, and have a passion for customer service and reader’s advisory for adults? Are you tech savvy, friendly and approachable to all ages? Do you keep up-to-date on the publishing world and popular media and culture? Does the sight of bookshelves filled with clean, orderly, and consistently labeled books make you happy? Are you organized and able to multitask? Do you have the ability to work weekend and evening hours?
We are looking for a person that thrives on collaboration, teamwork, and fun, to become an integral member of our Access Services team by staffing our main desk and assisting with materials and interlibrary loan processing.
Please see the position specifications and application instructions below, and the full job description here.
Position: Access Services Assistant
Classification: Library Assistant I
Hours/week: 18 hours/week
- Thursdays: 1 – 7
- Fridays: 12 – 5
- Saturdays: 10 – 5
Starting rate: $18.00/hour
Benefits: Pro-rated holiday, vacation, sick leave; participation in Mission Square retirement plan
General Position Summary
The Access Services Assistant is part of a team that ensures a positive experience for library users of all ages, accomplished by engaging in conversation and connecting them with quality resources and services. You will assist in creating a welcoming community destination by providing excellent customer service and serving as the primary point of contact for library visitors. Additionally, the Access Services Assistant helps to process materials and manage interlibrary loans, and ensures that the library’s collections are well-maintained and reach library users in a timely manner.
- Empathy, patience, and compassion, which translate into strong people skills
- A willingness to try, even in circumstances of uncertainty
- Enthusiasm for contributing to a team culture; a spirit of experimentation and fun
- Adaptability, flexibility, and ability to manage change (and sometimes chaos!)
- Ability to tailor communication
- Commitment to learning about and connecting with the local community
Desired competencies specific to position:
- Familiarity with library ethics, services, organizational mission
- Aptitude with technology (instruction and use)
- Excellent customer service skills including a patient, friendly, and courteous communication manner in-person, on the phone, and in written communication
- Ability to explain and enforce library behavior policies
- Experience with ILS procedures, specifically Sierra
Staffing our main circulation/information desk. Day-to-day responsibilities include providing circulation, reader’s advisory, and reference services, primarily to adults and teens; answering phones; use of and instruction relating to technology; monitoring activities in public spaces; social media assistance; collection maintenance processes.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university is preferred.
- Two (2) years of office clerical or customer service experience or one (1) year of experience working in a library.
Please send the following via email to Rachel Davis, Library Director at email@example.com:
- Cover letter
- Three professional references
Deadline: Wednesday, June 8, 2022