Statement of Purpose
The library encourages the display of informational bulletins, brochures and posters regarding area educational, cultural and civic events of interest to the community. The Community Information Area includes bulletin boards, brochure racks and shelving, and countertops.
Library staff must approve all postings; items approved for the bulletin board will be indicated as such with a TML stamp. Please bring postings to the Main Circulation Desk for approval.
Materials will be accepted on a space available basis using the following priorities:
1. Notices of library programs, events, activities and services
2. Notices of community interest from organizations with a Cape Elizabeth affiliation
3. Notices of cultural, educational or recreational topics of interest to the community
Display or posting of information does not imply library endorsement.
The library reserves the right to remove any material from the Community Information Area at any time and for any reason.
Materials having no specific date may be displayed for a reasonable length of time as determined by the Library Director or designated staff according to space available.
The library will not be responsible for returning materials.
Information regarding contests or solicitations, notices of merchandise for sale, notices of sales or auctions may not be displayed unless the event or sale is for the benefit of a local non-profit organization.
No in-person solicitations are permitted.
The library does not provide the sign holders on the library’s doors for use of the public.
- Items to be displayed should be of a reasonable size, preferably no larger than 12”x18
- Informational or political events may be displayed. No campaign materials or petitions will be permitted.
- Informational or educational events and workshops sponsored by any profit-making organization may be displayed on a space available basis as determined by the library.
Library staff will remove multiple postings.
Brochure Racks and Shelves:
- Materials from any educational, cultural, or civic group may be displayed.
- Multiple copies of an item will be accepted on a space available basis.
Groups may be restricted in the number of different items on display
Revised: March 2022
Voted for recommendation of approval by the TML Committee on: May 26, 2022
Amended by the Town Council Effective Date: November 14, 2022
Adopted by the Town Council Effective Date: November 15, 2022
Policy Review: This policy shall be reviewed at least every 5 years