During the months of July and August, readers of all ages are invited to participate in TML’s annual summer reading program. This year’s theme is I’d Rather BEE Reading and we have unBEElieveable fun planned for everyone!
We’re also celebrating bees, pollinators, and the native plants that support them. We’ll have free native wildflower seeds to hand out, bee identification cards, and programs about bees and other pollinators and what you can do to help keep Maine’s environment healthy for these important species.
How to Participate
- Stop by the library to register! Starting July 1st, you can visit the Children’s Library anytime to sign up for Summer Reading. When you register, you’ll be given a Summer Reading Log to help you keep track of all your reading.
- Read, read, read! Each time you read, or are read to, or listen to an audiobook for 20 minutes, you can mark off a section of your reading log. Each time you fill a honey comb grouping on your log (every 200 minutes of reading), you can come to the children’s desk to claim a prize from our fabulous treasure chest!
- What do I have to read? You can read anything you’d like! You can also count listening to someone reading to you, or listening to audio books. There are SO MANY ways to read! You do not need to read only library books or count library materials.
- What happens when I finish the program? Once you’ve filled out your reading log completely, you can pick up a finisher’s certificate and celebrate all the reading you did this summer! Hoorah!
- What if I’m just a baby?? No worries, baby, we’ve got you covered! Babies and toddlers, ages 0-2, can stop by the children’s desk anytime and pick up a summer reading packet that encourages early literacy, as well as a sheet of activities, and a book that’s yours to keep. Who loves ya, baby? TML, that’s who!
Tweens & Teens
- Stop by the library to register! Starting July 1st, you can visit the library anytime to sign up for Summer Reading. When you register, you’ll be given a Tween/Teen Summer Reading Log with different activities for you to complete.
- Read, read, read! Each time you complete a reading log activity, you can collect a sticker for your log and enter our weekly raffle drawing. There are a total of eight dated log squares and eight different raffle prizes which will be drawn on a weekly basis (on Saturdays at 4:59 pm). Winners will be notified the following week.
- What do I have to read? You can read anything you’d like! You do not need to read only library books or count library materials.
- Hmm, I’m interested, but is there any way you could sweeten the deal a bit? We’re glad you asked! In addition to entering our weekly raffle, each time you’ve completed a reading activity you are eligible to make ONE button of your choice with our spectacular button machine. And who doesn’t like buttons? No one. Literally, no one.
- Stop by the library to register! Starting July 1st, you can visit the library anytime to register and pick up your Summer Reading card.
- Read, read, read! All you need to do each week is start a book, manage to read some of a book, finish a book, listen to an audiobook, or just generally interact with a book in any way. (So simple and easy, even an adult can handle it!) If you need suggestions of what to read, just ask us!
- Present your Summer Reading card at the library! Stop by the library each week throughout July and August, show us your Summer Reading card, and tell us what you did for the week. You’ll get a buzzworthy bee stamp to add to your reading card and a ticket to enter our weekly prize drawing. Be sure to enter each week to maximize your chances of winning. One ticket per person per week. Drawings will be held on Saturday afternoons at 3pm, so be sure to bring your card in before then.
- Get ready for prizes! Prizes will be given out weekly throughout July and August. Each raffle ticket you submit throughout the summer will be entered into a grand prize drawing at the end of the program.
- That’s it! That’s it? Yes, that’s IT!! Now get on in here and register already! Summer Reading only comes but once a year. Don’t miss it!
Register beginning July 1
Check back on this page for more updates on prizes and bee-related resources and programs soon!